Home News Mission History Preserves Mine Hill Stewardship Nature Notes Ways to Give
   
Roxbury Land Trust Logo and Navigation


   

Campaign for 6 Mine Hill

Connecting Our Past to Our Future

In November 2015, the Roxbury Land Trust acquired an historic building at the gateway to its 360-acre Mine Hill Preserve, a National Historic Landmark. The renovated building at 6 Mine Hill Road now serves as the Land Trust headquarters.

Built in the late 1800s, this historic building was once a general store and post office in a bustling boom town called Chalybes that grew up at the base of iron ore mines that employed hundreds of immigrant workers at their short-lived height between 1865 and 1872. It is part of a complex of historic buildings at Roxbury Station just off Route 67 that were acquired and restored by Mine Hill Distillery to make craft spirits.

Brian Duda, (then) president of the Board of Directors, said "We're proud to help preserve Roxbury's heritage which is an important part of our mission. This is the entrance to the Mine Hill Preserve which is one of the true gems in our network of preserves and where the Roxbury Land Trust got its start in raising funds to preserve the town's open space and natural resources."

Although structurally solid, the building needed extensive renovation. The renovation was completed in 2016 and RLT moved in. In 2017 Roxbury's Historic District Commission awarded RLT a Certificate of Merit for the preservation and renovation of this significant building. The capital campaign, co-chaired by Barbara Ungeheuer and Julie Steers, succeeded in raising $275,000 to cover part of the cost of restoring and equipping our office. The campaign was closed in December 2018.

We thank all our generous contributors and invite them to our offices to view the donor plaque. Thank you for all you do for conservation!

Home | News | Our Mission | History | Preserves | Mine Hill | Stewardship | Nature Notes | Ways to Give | Email Us


Copyright © 2005-2019 Roxbury Land Trust. All rights reserved.